The following are some suggestions to help maximize the results of your whitening efforts!
During the time you are whitening, and for 48 hours after, avoid or minimize:
- highly colored foods (red sauce, blueberries, etc.) and
- dark beverages (coffee, tea, etc.) – basically anything that would stain a white shirt.
- Mild sensitivity to hot or cold liquids may occur. This usually passes within 1-2 days. If sensitivity is severe or persists, contact our office.
- If you experience gum sensitivity do not brush the afflicted area while brushing your teeth.
- Immediate whitening results can be quite dramatic due to minor dehydration of your teeth. It is normal for the color to tone down somewhat after treatment when your teeth rehydrate to a natural white tone.
- Long term results vary from patient to patient. This can depend on the original shade of your teeth and include habits such as smoking or drinking colored beverages (red wine, coffee, tea, etc.)
- “Touch-up” treatments are recommended every 6-12 months to retain color.
- Existing fillings, crowns, bonding, etc. will not whiten. Therefore, these may need to be changed in order to match your new smile.
- If your family or friends notice your new smile, let them know that we can help improve their smile too!
*We recommend using the whitening material once a day for as many consecutive days as possible to get the best results. Amount of material used for each application varies by individual and is affected by tooth size and number of teeth applied, and therefor the number of days a kit lasts varies from person to person. Typically, a starter kit lasts 10-14 days.
*Whitening is not a once on a lifetime event - your results will fade over time. How long whitening lasts varies between each individual and depends on a number of factors, including: age, starting tooth shade, history of trauma to teeth, diet, oral hygiene, and smoking.
*We recommend maintaining your whitening results with a touch up syringe once every 6 months. Whitening is most effective after having your teeth professionally cleaned, and regular maintenance requires less work and less material.